Asbestos content testing and asbestos removal
The management at Slime & Grime have been testing for Asbestos for many years, always working to the strict guidelines laid out by the HSE. Slime & Grime are permitted to carry out non-licensed Asbestos removal, this is works that are classed as ‘minor’ by the HSE.
Licensed Asbestos removal companies can and do charge large amounts of money for small work. We offer a value for money alternative. We do not carry out work that we are not permitted or qualified to do.
Please refer to the HSE guidelines in relation to the works classed as Non Licensed Asbestos Removal at the following website – www.hse.gov.uk
What should I do if I find asbestos in my property?
If you find asbestos on your property, do not panic. As long as the asbestos has been left untouched then it shouldn’t be a hazard to you. Inhaling asbestos however, can have disastrous consequences for your health so if you feel the asbestos is of danger to you, you should call in a professional.
Types of asbestos
Asbestos is not one material. It is a group of multiple types of minerals which are classified as asbestos. They are:
- Chrysotile (white asbestos) – this is the most common and is often found in roofs, ceiling, walls and floors of homes and businesses.
- Amosite (brown asbestos) – this was mostly used in cement sheets and pipe insulation.
- Crocidolite (blue asbestos) – this was commonly used to insulate steam engines.
- Anthophyllite – this was used in limited quantities for insulation products and construction materials.
- Tremolite and actinolite – these are not generally used commercially, but can be found in chrysotile asbestos.